Sunday, June 28, 2015

Retiring My One Speed

Now that morning temperatures are above freezing, it’s time to get out my bicycle and ride like the wind. Well, maybe that’s an exaggeration. I should say pedal like a gentle breeze. Without gears, you won’t see me going up one hill and down the other at a breakneck speed. I coast as far as I can down the hill, then walk the bike up the rest of the way.

My bicycle has been faithful for over 30 years, but I’m thinking of retiring it. My travel route is the same. I go from my sideroad to Six Mile to Birch Point Road, a distance of 10 miles round trip. That doesn’t sound like much but when you’re doing it at one speed, it’s a test of endurance. This summer might be the one I trade in Old Faithful for a slick model boasting a dozen gears.

It’s something I’ve considered for years, but I don’t like change so I’ve been hesitant to retire a bike with so many memories. When my daughter was a toddler, I put her in the carrier seat attached to the handlebars and we explored the neighborhood. At that time, we lived in Ypsilanti Township. Our apartment was surrounded by farms and cornfields. While her dad was at work, Stef and I traveled the country roads.

Once we moved to Brimley, she traded in her bicycle for a horse. As Star trotted down the road, I attempted to keep up with little success. Eventually Stef graduated college and left home. Her horse became a memory, but my bike remained steadfast. Every summer I get it out, squirt a little oil on it, and climb aboard. But now as I apply a dash of liniment to my aching bones, I’m thinking an investment in a fancy new bike might be just the ticket to keep me on the road this summer. 

When I drive down Six Mile, I often see a bicyclist zooming down the road. The rider’s head is helmeted and bent over the handlebars. He’s wearing expensive clothing and riding a bike that probably cost more than my Aztec. Usually he’s hogging the road, mindless of cars behind him. Maybe he’s running from the law or escaping an unhappy marriage. Whatever the reason, speed seems to be his foremost concern.

I ride for exercise and enjoyment. I have no desire to go fast and blur the scenery. I like looking at trees and wildflowers. I wave to oncoming cars and folks out for their morning stroll. The only reason I need a new bike is to go up hills without stopping.

Thinking it over, a new bicycle might only be a nuisance.
    


   

No comments:

Post a Comment