Monday, June 8, 2015

Don't Move That Chair



We all know folks who rearrange their furniture every few months. Visiting such people can be a challenge because we never know where we’ll find the couch or our favorite easy chair. On the other hand, visiting people who never change their furniture arrangement is a pleasure. We know which chairs to avoid due to shaky legs, broken springs, or cat and dog hair.

There’s something inherently comfortable about stability. I like walking into a friend’s house and seeing everything in the same place as it was a year ago. Chances are, if the furniture placement is stable, so is my friend. Stability is not the same as stagnation. Just because some of us never move a chair from its original place, does not mean our brains are as stationary as our furniture.

When I moved into this trailer in 1996, my stuff went into storage. After a year, the storage place went out of business and I had two choices. Either sell everything or redecorate Mom’s living room. She was horrified at the idea. Her couch and chair, end tables, and lamps had come with the trailer. It was unthinkable they should be replaced. It didn’t matter that the couch had a broken leg. Everything else was in good shape because nothing had moved in 28 years.

Mom wasn’t overjoyed at the prospect of change but eventually agreed that my bookcases and furniture could invade her home. My first improvement was to get rid of the green carpet and replace it with beige Berber. Mom sat in the garage while it was being installed and stayed there until I finished hauling in my things. By late afternoon, everything was in place and the trailer looked like new. Mom was still in the garage.

When she came in for supper, she was thrilled. All her worries evaporated as she looked at the couch with four legs, the pristine easy chairs, sturdy oak end tables, and various bookcases. Scattered among my many books were knickknacks and pictures of departed loved ones. Her wedding picture was on display for the first time. She loved everything and couldn’t believe the transformation.

Not much has changed inside the trailer since the historic Redecoration Day of 1997. If Mom were still with us, she’d see things much as she left them. I’m a creature of habit just as she was. It doesn’t matter if it’s a piece of furniture or a picture on the wall. Once I decide where something goes, it stays there.

Although I’ve considered replacing my couch because the back is coming unglued and its legs are shaky, I’ll stick with it to the end. Mom would be proud.           



No comments:

Post a Comment